The siphon has essential functions: thanks to the water intake, it does not allow the odors coming from the sewage to enter the room and protects the pipes from many blocks. If the exhaust system is worn or out of service, its replacement should not be delayed until later. It’s easy to change the siphon under the sink by itself; it doesn’t require special skills and sophisticated tools. The main thing is to know how to do it correctly.
Before replacing the siphon, you will need to select and purchase a new product. To get started, get acquainted with the varieties of this device.
According to the principle of action, the siphons used in the sink in the kitchen or the bathroom sink are divided into the following types:
- Bottled with an immersed tube (water cap created by two cylinders, one of which is inserted in the other). It is used more often than different types due to the possibility of removing accumulated dirt by unscrewing the plug from below.
- Bottle with two partitions.
- Pipe. Such a product has the appearance of a tube bent in the form of the letter “S” or “U” due to the bending of which a hydraulic block has been created.
- Corrugated. It is a plastic corrugation, curved and fixed in the desired position with a yoke.
Previously, drainage devices were made of steel and cast iron, but now practical and inexpensive plastics are more commonly used for siphons and other hydraulic equipment. It is not subject to corrosion, does not rot and does not trap dirt. The plastic tolerates cleaning with the use of cables and chemicals.
The cheapest products are made of polyethylene and PVC. Their lifespan does not exceed six years. Polypropylene and ABS plastic siphons will live for more than ten years.
Chromed brass siphons have a spectacular appearance, but their resistance is not much higher than that of plastic products. The most reliable are stainless-steel devices.
How to choose a drain device?
The product is simple and easy to disassemble to verify the absence of marriage. There should be no defects on the surface and in the threaded connections. The gaskets are applied elastic and lubricated with silicone sealant.
The price can vary significantly. A simple plastic siphon of any modification can be purchased for 100-300 rubles. For a product with chrome or with additional taps will have to pay 400 to 1000 rubles. The price of brass devices starts at 1000 rubles. And it can reach 15 thousand rubles. The most expensive are the chrome or brass bottle traps.
Size and selection of the type of device
The siphons have standard dimensions and are generally compatible with any sink. The section of the branches depends on the volume of the wastewater. At the time of purchase, it is necessary to remember to check the completeness and compliance with the diameter of the old discharge device.
Tips for choosing the type of siphon:
- The product with a folding light bulb is recommended for the kitchen: it is easy to clean from food debris. The bottle siphon with a drain in the form of corrugations, as in the photo, is easier to install than others.
- It is more difficult to collect a drainpipe because it has a rigid structure: its branch pipes must be precisely aligned with the holes in the sink and the bed.
- If there are problems with the free space or the uncomfortable position of the pipes, the position of the flute will be saved.
- For kitchen sinks, it is best to take a sink with smooth walls, as the corrugations are quickly clogged with dirt.
- If there is absolutely no space under the sink, you should choose a special flat siphon.
To install the drainage device, it is necessary to purchase an odorless silicone sealant. Acid formulations will not work.